Friday, April 11, 2008

My new favorite wine

A few weeks ago (because, yes, it has been that long), I was driving home from work on a sunny, seasonably warm afternoon, and found myself craving a sort of sweet, crisp, sort of fruity, cold white wine. But I craved something different. Something beyond the sauv blancs and pinot grigios I had been consistently enjoying. So I came home, changed my clothes, and googled "sweet fruity white wine." Once I sorted out the Rieslings (which I also decided is not strictly for dessert), I discovered something called Lugana. The brand that I've been buying is Zenato, because that's all I have been able to find among 3 local liquor stores. Wow. It's sort of like a Sauv Blanc, but better. I'm not so good at wine descriptions, so I borrow from Wine Enthusiast:

"Here is an attractive straw-colored wine, based on the Trebbiano grape, with green fruit and vanilla aromas. On the palate, there are soft, ripe fruits. It is full-bodied, with more character than many Italian whites. The acidity keeps it fresh and refreshing, with a ripe, soft aftertaste."

Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm contemplating buying by the case. I wish I had a wine fridge or at least a proper rack. I think if I did I would certainly purchase by the case. I'm not kidding, go and buy yourself a bottle. Now. If anyone can point me toward another brand that I might be able to find, I'm more than willing to try, and I'd love to know some (or at least one) restaurant around here that has a lugana. Even if it's only by the bottle. Yummmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment