Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sometimes the movie really is better

There are certain movies that I love so much, I'm not even willing to try and read the book, lest I ruin the movie.  Is that weird?  I'm watching How Stella Got Her Groove Back right now, and maybe it's just that I have a crush on Taye Diggs, but I have always loved this movie.  I bet the book is great too, but I never care to read it.  I feel the same way about The Princess Diaries and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  I know these are cheesy selections, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples that I could cite, but these come to mind.  I feel like reading the book would somehow ruin the movie for me.  I've heard that this is the case with Julie & Julia - the book was downright painful to get through, but the movie was excellent.  I would like to see the movie one day (it's totally a wait-for-DVD kind of movie), but I have no intention of ever reading the book.  I've picked up the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books a few times in the library, but then always decide that I like to movie too much to read a book.  Usually, I say that I don't want movies to be made of my favorite books, because I'm so terrified that the movie isn't going to be good enough to live up to the book.  It feels weird to think the opposite and be afraid that reading the book is going to ruin the movie that I like so much.  But I kind of like it.

1 comment:

  1. I won't push you one way or the other on most of these, but READ THE SISTERHOOD BOOKS! So, so, so good.

    ReplyDelete