Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Theme Songs

While I finished the first draft of my novel a few weeks ago, the ending was still sort of hanging out there - it was done, but not done-done, if that makes sense. I sort of knew how it was ending, but I couldn't put it into words or make it happen the way that it needed to. Until last week, when it just clicked in my head while listening to Jason Mraz's song You and I Both on my way home from work. I was happily singing along at the top of my lungs with the windows open and the music blaring, as I've been know to do, when the words really sunk in. Since then, I've had trouble shutting that one song off. I literally cannot hear it enough, and it makes me smile ear to ear every time I hear it. That song is Sarah and Brady's theme song. Beginning to end, every word speaks to their relationship. To a T. It's just a Brady kind of song, too - the whole sound of it fits his personality. It floors me to think of what a perfect fit it is. Anyway, so once I realized how perfect that song was, I was able to sit down and bang out the ending - I actually outlined the details and highlights of the last chapter while I was sitting at the bar waiting for friends to get there last week. Cliche, right?

So, then another day last week, also on the way home from work, windows open, music blaring, happily singing along at the top of my lungs, I had my iPod on shuffle and Evanescence's Bring Me to Life came on. And holy crap, if that song isn't a theme song for Sarah and Jason and for the book as a whole, I don't know what is. It's a nice juxtaposition of sounds, I think, between this and the Jason Mraz song, which also fits the relationships in the book. None of this will make any sense without reading the book or at least knowing the story line, I know, but I just wanted to write about my excitement. Clearly, it's chick lit, and there's a bit of a love triangle involved surrounding Sarah and Brady and Jason. Maybe if you listen to the songs, it'll give you a feeling for the book; maybe if you're lucky, you'll be the next one to get an email draft to read for me. Check 'em out below.

----------------
Now playing: Jason Mraz - You and I Both
----------------
Now playing: Evanescence - Bring Me to Life

No comments:

Post a Comment