Monday, May 3, 2010

30 Day Music Challenge - Days 2 and 3

Obviously, this isn't going as planned.  It's day 3 and I've already missed a day.  Go me.  Alas, life gets in the way.  Here we go, with what will likely be only the first of many multiple-day responses.

Day 02 - Your least favorite song:  Again, this tends to change from hour to hour, but right now I think I gotta go with that godawful mess that is Tik-Tok, by Ke$ha.  Who was the asshole record exec that said this girl should have a recording contract?  Are you kidding me?  The first time I heard this song, I think it was #1 on American Top 40 (a guilty pleasure, I admit.  Though while I'm admitting things, I should probably add that I tune out of half the songs that they actually play on there because they all seem to suck so hard).  It was way up there in the countdown, anyway, so I gave it a shot.  I swear to you, it was like a train wreck for me.  I hated everything about it so, so much, but I couldn't shut it off.  She can't sing to save her life, even with Auto-tune, and I don't know who wrote this garbage, but even the lyrics are painful to try and listen to.  Further proof that anything with a hook can get radio play, no matter how bad it might suck.  A very close second = The 2010 remake of We Are the World.  I love the idea of the original, even if I don't love the song, but this remake was one of the worst things I've ever heard, whether their hearts were in the right place or not.  Even the production was bad, so shame on you, Quincy Jones.  What a flippin' mess.


Day 03 - A song that makes you happy:  J and I were just talking about songs like this.  There are a few that you just have to smile at, you know?  Today, I'm going with Fireflies, by Owl City.  I know a lot of people hate the sugary sweetness that is the whole Owl City album, and I have to admit that a whole album of this would probably make me want to kick a rainbow-farting unicorn in the head, but for a single song to make you smile, you can't really beat lines like "I get a thousand hugs / from ten thousand lightning bugs."  For the record, a few others include Jason Mraz's I'm Yours, Sublime's What I Got, RHCP's Zephyr, and pretty much the entire Jack Johnson Curious George album.

No comments:

Post a Comment