Thursday, May 6, 2010

30 Day Music Challenge - Days 4, 5 & 6

I officially suck at this.  In my defense, I spent two whole days thinking about the Day 4 challenge, and still had a really hard time coming up with something.  For Day 5, it was a matter of picking which one of many to use, and Day 6 is the easiest one yet.

Day 04 - A song that makes you sad:  Wow.  Music makes me happy, not sad.  There are some songs that remind me of tough times, and in that way, I guess they sort of make me sad - but it's not the song that makes me sad, it's the memory that the song triggers.  Some songs are really sad songs, but they don't necessarily make me feel sad.  So, call this a cop out, but the only thing I can come up with is the I'll Cover You Reprise from Rent, especially as sung by Jesse L. Martin.  When he nails the line "When your heart has expired," my heart wants to break in half.


Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone: There are seriously so many to chose from!  Drawing out of the hat that is my brain, I'll go with Birdhouse in Your Soul by They Might Be Giants, but it's really that whole album that reminds me of Kate.  We used to play that album and pretty much anything by the Violent Femmes non-stop, hanging out at her mom's house during junior high and early high school summer vacations, squirting water bottles and throwing shit into the ceiling fan, just to see what would happen . . . Good times.

Day 06 - A song that reminds of you of somewhere: Hands down, this is the easiest challenge yet.  Rockstar, by Nickleback, reminds me of the Hoover Dam.  We drove there from Vegas about 5 years ago, when this song was all over the radio, and it was playing as we drove up to the dam and looked for parking.  The entire time we were walking around the dam, on the tour and then when we walked across the dam afterwards, I was singing this song.  Now every single time I hear it, I feel like I'm right back there.

3 comments:

  1. I'll Cover You (Reprise) kills me dead. I love that entire soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool list of songs. I haven't heard the first one though. I will have to look that up later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie - The first one is from the musical Rent. I'm a little addicted, and have seen it so many times I've lost count (seriously, I stopped counting around 10, and that was a few years ago). Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete