Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shazam! Tags of the Week - May 19

On my old phone, I used to use VCast from Verizon to identify songs that I liked on the radio.  When I switched to an android phone, I lost VCast.  But I gained Shazam.  It's a fabulous music identification app, for all kinds of phones.  You just push "tag now" and hold the phone up to the speaker, and it tells you the song title, artist and album.  I love it.

So, I've decided that I'm going to start posting some of my weekly (or bi-weekly, at the rate I manage to update my blog) favorite tags.  A top 5 of whatever tags I have in my phone, I guess.  I generally know nothing about a lot of the bands that I'll be posting about, these are just radio songs (mostly college radio, some just random rock radio) that I've discovered in the past week or so, and sort of fallen in love with.  Some might be brand spanking new, some might be sort of old - I have no idea.  Chances are, once I have some more time, you'll be hearing about a lot of these bands again, though.  This is installment number one.

1) LAY ME DOWN - Dirty Heads feat. Rome

I'm starting to wonder if I could ever get sick of this song.  It reminds me A LOT of Sublime, but maybe a little more rap-ish, and yet happy and fun at the same time - almost a cross between Sublime and Citizen Cope.  It's effing great.  Based on this song alone, I might need this album very soon.


2) MOUNTAIN MAN - The Crash Kings

I've tagged this a few times.  I always think of it as the "afterlife song," because I never remember the name of it (hence the multiple tags).  It's modern rock, along the same lines as Cage the Elephant, I guess.  Good stuff.

3) THE HIGH ROAD - Broken Bells

This is sort of unique, sort of electronic and ethereal at the same time.  I don't know- it caught my ear.


4) SPACESHIP - Puddle of Mudd

Puddle of Mudd is obviously not a new band, but I don't know how old this song is.  All I know is that I've tagged it about 4 times in the past couple of weeks, because I keep forgetting who it is, and I want to save it in my phone so that next time I go hunting iTunes for new stuff, I remember to buy it.  I think it's pretty standard PoM, but it's so catchy, and somehow sort of hot at the same time.

5) LETTERS FROM THE SKY - Civil Twilight

This is sort of haunting, sort of beautiful - it reminds me a little of Radiohead/Coldplay, I think, but maybe that's just the singer's voice.  Either way, it's a pretty great song.

Enjoy, and stay tuned for further random Shazam recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment