Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Occasional Adventures in Baking: Part 2

The Baked Brownie

I'm on a bit of a quest to learn to bake a few things really well, but I only want to make things that are impressive.  A few months ago, it was red velvet cupcakes, which went very well.  This time it's homemade, from scratch brownies.

I found this recipe, from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.  I also found a lot of bloggers raving about this recipe, so I figured it must be good.

It was delicious.

I wish I had pictures to share, but somehow, I've made them twice now and failed at taking pictures both times.  A few notes, though - they were super, super fudgy.  Like, I cut them pretty small because eating one is almost like eating a hunk of chocolate fudge, and getting them out of the pan was more like trying to get fudge out than brownies, in my experience.  They were hard to get out of the pan clean, and a gooey mess to cut up.  I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate baking chips, Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, and International Delights Mocha Latte instant mix instead of the instant espresso mix.  They were better the first time, and were almost undercooked the second time.  I thought they hadn't cooked right the first time because I used a darker baking pan, so the second time, I turned down the temp in the oven a little to try and compensate, and obviously that was a bad decision - they were better the first time, using a dark pan must not have made a difference, they were really just meant to be that fudgy.

The final verdict - I'm going to keep trying a few other recipes, I think.  These were wicked good, and pretty easy but I'm not commited to them yet, and I want to see what else is out there.  I won't move on to a new baked good until I can master the brownies, so stay tuned for more experimentation.

In the meantime, I did learn how to frost a double layer cake a couple of weeks ago.  Here's a picture of that (albeit not a very good picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment